In this video, I’ll be discussing everything you need to know when training your puppy.
Become a channel member today, and you’ll receive priority responses to comments, access to live Q&As for members only, custom emojis, badges, and you’ll help me continue making great dog training content. Thank you to everyone who continues to support and help my channel grow. 😁
Only $1.99 per month. Sign up here: https://www.youtube.com/nateschoemer/join
Thanks for watching, and subscribe for new dog training videos each week!
►► Recommended Products🧸: https://www.nateschoemer.com/store
►► Nate Schoemer Shop👕: https://nateschoemershop.com/
►► Get a copy of my dog training manual📚: https://amzn.to/2P2tyQH
►► Join My Facebook Group☕️: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NateSchoemers
►► Support Through Patreon🦮: https://www.patreon.com/NateSchoemer ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
TREATS USED IN VIDEO: https://www.arihandcharlies.com/
►► Prudent Pet is the ultimate option to make sure your four-legged family members are covered and protected! Their pet insurance plans* cover a variety of needs for your pet, with a ton of customizable options — Plus, if they sign up through my link, you’ll get 5% off!
👉 https://www.prudentpet.com/internet/NATE 👈
So, make sure to get them enrolled today! You’ll be glad you did!
*Discount not available in FL, ME, TN, PA, and SC.
For your convenience, the information is also provided below.
1) You want to start training your puppy the moment you bring them home. You should try to get in 1 – 3 sessions each day. Each session should be between five to fifteen-minutes. When training a new puppy, I like to use mealtime as training time. In the beginning, you want to do continual reinforcement, meaning you reward every correct behavior. If you don’t have time to train, don’t feed your puppy out of a bowl. Instead, put the food into a raw bone or Kong and freeze it. Once it’s frozen, you can give that to your dog in the crate. I will help keep them entertained, but it will also satisfy the puppy’s need to chew. Don’t try to increase the value of the food. If you do, that’s a lot like giving your dog a pay raise.
2) You’re going to want to start potty training right away as well. I would advise staying away from puppy pads unless you want your puppy to learn to go potty in the house. Keep the crate next to your bed at night to make it a more comfortable place to sleep for your puppy.
3) Confidence building exercises and exposure. confidence-building is simply taking new experiences and associating them with something pleasant, therefore creating a positive association for the dog. Make your puppy believe he’s a super dog.
If something scares them, don’t comfort them while they are scared, but rather act like it’s not a big deal. Dogs will often mimic those they are around most.
A) Play tug and let your dog win
B) Have your puppy walk on different surfaces while being rewarded or making it a game.
C) Create a puppy obstacle course
Exposure: Take your puppy out into town as often as possible.
4) You want to make the training as fun as possible, creating a fun learning environment that the puppy wants to keep coming back to.
5) First, you want to start with markers/engagement training | Do 1 minute or so of engagement training before each session. This will help get the puppy into the mindset of learning.
6) Once your dog is conditioned to the markers you want to start implementing free shaping. This will help you create a pro-active dog.
7) Start shaping all the behaviors you would like your dog to perform by first using luring.
8) Next, teach all the behaviors using leash pressure.
9) Once you can get your puppy to perform all of the behaviors with either luring, leash pressure, or both, then you want to start naming all of the commands.
10) You want to teach multiple commands in each session. This makes the training more fun for your puppy and as a side effect, they will learn them more quickly.
11) Once you have a behavior down with the verbal command, then start working the stay command.
Links to episodes referenced in video:
1) Confidence vs Submissive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7hPdqm8BiY&t=3s
2) Engagement training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZ7ucpK9sc&t=20s
3) Free Shaping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEU6gM_sHYI&t=78s
4) Luring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6mD1uBjaOE&t=106s
5) Leash Pressure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L8tK7mSD10&t=177s
6) Naming commands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aE6QP3ilKw&t=50s
7) Potty Training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKqy0j7tYi0&t=33s