Pastrami Beef Jerky
– 3 1/2 lbs beef (I used top round steak)
– 7 tsp Morton Tender Quick (2 tsp/lb)
– 2 Tbsp Gravy Master
– 2 Tbsp ground black pepper
– 2 Tbsp ground coriander
– red pepper(omitted)
– freeze meat for 30-60 mins (so meat slices easier).
– remove meat from freezer, slice into 3/16″-1/4″ strips.
– sprinkle Morton Tender Quick on meat (mix thoroughly).
– cover, refrigerate 1-2 days (mixing daily).
– remove from refrigerator.
– rinse meat under cold water to remove excess salt (optional)
– add Gravy Master to meat (mix thoroughly)
– sprinkle pepper & coriander on meat (mix thoroughly).
– place meat on drying screens.
– place drying screens on wire shelves then on drying rack and
lower into the smokehouse.
– the Big Chief runs between 165-185 deg F (outside temp was 72
deg F & low humidity).
– smoke for about 2 hrs (2 pans of hickory chips) cooked/dried 3
more hours (no smoke).
– cook time 5 hrs total.
– cooking/drying time will vary depending on weather and
temperature of your smoker/dehydrator.
– bring to an internal temp of 155 deg F.
– feel/taste to your desired texture/dryness.